I want to login or register an account!
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Have modern games lost something along the way ?

Hi guys

Im a long time gamer now and just wondered if you have noticed gaming and games being created these days have become soul-less, vacuous in nature..

when css assault transformed from the first hl1 engine to the source engine it was brilliant, it added better textures, detail and even rag doll physics and it didn't lose anything and its a game so flawless you can play on a loop and endless amount of times without getting bored.. Now the new games though ascetically brilliant seem like they have lost something along the way...

34494-battlefield-1942-windows-screenshot-running-with-rifle.jpg

Being a star wars fan of course I bought star wars battlefront but I was shocked how shallow the game play was.. its was a beautiful looking game and it was like being in star wars visually.. playability though it was awful... The same goes for battlefield 1, ive been playing battlefield 1942 for a long time and still do occasionally, it still hasn't lost its playability when I purchased battlefield 1 again a decision made from graphics alone (perhaps a wee bit short-sighted on my part) I was shocked again at the shallow game play!..

Cs_assault_css_warehouse_rooftop.png

I'm still Jurassic period old enough to remember the first play station on the playstaion it was brilliant, the graphics didn't seem to matter that they were awful the game play and the puzzles was what kept you coming back to play more.. now when you compare the graphics of tomb raider and battlefield v they are worlds apart.. but on reflection I bet there is more actual game play in the tomb raider game...I was on the edge weather to purchase battlefield V or not and after the last 2 let downs I decided not too

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this with modern day gaming?

The movie industry seems to be going down a similar route, the first 3 star wars films were epic and brilliantly written and cast etc.. the last 3 were (in my view) awful.. too reliant (as modern day games are) on effects and cgi to hide an awful tacky script and very bad acting... Ewan McGregor he will always be a Glaswegian smack head (heroin abuser) to me from the movie 'trainspotting' and not a Jedi knight.. lol

0 AkV7dSDNjboJt4sJ.jpg

any ways your thoughts..

and I hope this was placed in the right place..

take care

Reaks :)
    Last edited by ReakingRIngpiece; 11.12.2018 at 14:01.

The modern games of now are brilliant on consoles, i only play console games. Only play CSS on PC

Look at the new games what came out in 2018, RED DEAD 2 , GOD OF WAR etc.

Great games to play, nothing to say about that.

Of course alot has changed from PS 1 to PS4 thats a fact.

And im sure Games in the future will get a little bit better, lets wait and see.

Erfahrener Benutzer
    Ah RED DEAD 2 was thinking about buying that it does look fantastic.. and good reviews too. just waiting for the PC release. reminded me I forgot to mention gta 5 which is a fantastic game and technologically very advanced as engines go... even by towards today's standards...gta 5 online is also worth a note, until they added stupid rocket bikes etc it was a great open expanse of insanity where you were free to do what you wanted..

my point was I think games have changed like you said, graphically for the better sadly game play wise worse... studies have shown IQ levels in western white males in Europe have dropped 15 points in the last 20 years and with that iq drop also the attention span of humans has also dropped..

You can see this in the studies involving capitalism and how it promotes individualistic thinking in humans, making humans less caring, having less empathy for others and most importantly feeding into the greed element of the humans character..

With the shorter attention span and lowering of general iq's movies and I think games also have changed to still appeal to the change into brains.. Movies also have become more simplistic as have games of course to pander to the lowering of the attention spans, no more working things out, the puzzle must be solved fast! no more wondering how to get to a certain part of the map like on tombraider. .. these are just crude simple examples but games that are too complex now get a superfluous response from the player.. I personally have noticed this in the modding scene, from the half-life 1 engine to the source engine where mods now being created have less puzzles now and mods created in the old way where people actually have to think are not tolerated...

I think you are right games have changed and games will get better and better looking at the cost however of the game play.. perhaps me being a wee bit pessimistic but that's the way its going sadly :(
    Last edited by ReakingRIngpiece; 11.12.2018 at 18:27.

Well man dondt wait for RDR2 on PC, believe me get it on the PS4 with 4k, u will love it, that game is the most realistic shit ATM

And yeah u may be right what the IQ from people was and is right now, but i personally dondt care so much, you know.

Im buying Games cause i know, there are great, like u said GTA 5 and others, are great to play, great Story etc.

These days u need a big company like Rockstar and many people to create such a great game like RDR2.

Even tough God of War 4 won Game of the Year.

And the point with the Puzzle and stuff, yeah i think too it is better when u solve this as fast as u can and if its not too hard.

Noone wants to sit there like hours just for one puzzle to solve, that is getting boring and games puts the game away and tells the whole internet how bad it is and noone will buy or play it longer.

The time where PS 1 and 2 was popular, the internet and rewievs were not that popular like today.

If a big youtuber says to his community, dondt buy that game, its so bad, they will hear and they will not buy it.

You did not have stuff like that in the past. So yeah the developers have to make games easy these days, so that people cant get bored so fast.

Erfahrener Benutzer
    ah yes good point with the utube reviews etc, and that didnt exist never thought of that.. regarding iq's though yes its true and you should be bothered as in the end it will keep dropping and you will have mindless drones walking around you sluring and being able to say 2 words lol already only around 10% of the worlds people they say have the abillity of 'critical thinking' which is vital for complex thought patterns and process's lol 90% is alot of backward people :(

I still think games and films have altered though to pander to the change in the brains of humans and the shorter attention span, my partner just finished a master in psychology last year and she also confirmed the iq drop and change in media to accommodate the change.. sad times for humans

ref red dead.. have you played the multiplayer yet? any good? as good as gta 5 online?

regarding iq's though yes its true and you should be bothered as in the end it will keep dropping and you will have mindless drones walking around you sluring and being able to say 2 words
    I am affraid in the future that will happen, to many robots and so on, like in the damn movies.

ref red dead.. have you played the multiplayer yet? any good? as good as gta 5 online?
    No i did not, because i dondt play online on the PS 4, hate that.

GTA 5 is at the moment better then RDR 2 online, you do not have much to choose on RDR 2, some racing with horses and some shooting, well what can i expect, its a western game with horses and some guns, cant compare that to gta

But the Story, wonderfulll i can tell u that.

#wow You do think a lot. That is a good thing :)
    Unless you have an endless supply of money to pour into a computer I must agree with Creeper. The console games are just more fun. I got the latest Wolfenstien and Doom for the pc and both were around 200gb to download. 100gb each but it can only give you a good experience with top hardware. A console limits to its own hardware so you don't have to worry. I also bought a steam controller to try but no matter how much I try I just can not love it. I have xbox and ps4 controllers that fit my pc and they work way better. The more they seem to put in the more it takes out of the game, when you just want to grab the controller and play the games. I also tried to love the battlefield engine but compared to the source engine it really sucks. I have over 800 games in my Family Steam account and all I play is counterstrike source LOL.

Kind Regards
    ZenTiac

Erfahrener Benutzer
    wow You do think a lot.
    Yes sorry for that comes with having an intellect...

I understand the hardware restrictions on PC games and how it limits the games you can play dependent on what hardware and the console of course takes that worry away...you have and of course PC hardware is a rip off, I prefer to dabble in engines and create mods etc so need that extra umpppth that PCs have compared to consoles..

The more they seem to put in the more it takes out of the game, when you just want to grab the controller and play the games.
    that's exactly the attention span point I was noting yesterday with creeper. games have adopted the new style of design to pander to the change in the expectations of the player and brain differences from 20 years ago not a good thing in my view..

yes the battlefield original engine is very old now but looking at it objectively the battlefield engine actually some advantages over the source engine, its a not a corridor based engine for a start unlike source which is still primarily a corridor based engine, when you get big outdoor environments in source its effectively big corridors rigged and mapped in a certain way to give you the illusion of depth and size with tricks such as 'skybox's and fades etc..I know my last mod I pushed the source engine to its very limit with rendering speeds pushed to its limit.. the new hardware of PC's took up the slack and allowed the engine to be pushed that hard but it was taken to max.. as you can see in one of my maps here..

asd.jpg

The battlefield has more a wealth of vehicles and planes which of course all have their own physics characters, unlike the source engine.. so you can see it doesn't 'suck' as you put it lol

I do agree however CSS is a superb game and the assault map is very well mapped, I use to be friends with some of the mappers that actually worked on a few of these maps, they are very efficient and talented mappers indeed.. css assault does have a few errors though lol like the fading pallet at the end of the warehouse (a fade number issue) and using twin towers at the ct spawn so to separate the ct spawn area from the rest of the map to keep the r speeds down I wouldn't of done it that way.. sadly with multiplayer maps though Rendering speeds of the engine is EVERYTHING and details go out the window..